I haven’t posted for a few weeks now, but as I’m sat on a plane with 12 hours of flying stretched out in front of me I decided now would be a good time to reflect on the trip! I can’t believe 7 weeks have come and gone, it feels like yesterday that I was exploring Hong Kong for the first time. It’s been the most amazing experience, despite the exhausting work schedule! By the middle of the trip the city was beginning to feel like home, and I felt really comfortable finding my way around. There are so many things to see and do, and I loved the buzz of being in the heart of the city, exploring street markets and generally soaking up the feel of the place. Here are a few of the things I will/won’t miss:
5 things I will miss
- The amazing skyline of Hong Kong island – it really is the most stunning view!
- Being able to shop until 10 at night – definitely a city that never sleeps
- Walking around late in the evening without a coat/jacket/jumper and not being cold
- The kind-hearted, generous people
- Cheap, efficient, easy to use public transport
5 things I won’t miss:
- The constant battle between the humidity and my hair!
- Pedestrians’ complete lack of spatial awareness
- Torrential rain like I’ve never seen before
- The embarrassment of not being able to use chopsticks properly!
- Burping and spitting in public areas – I mean, really?! 😣
One of the things I love most about having a job that takes me all over the world is meeting, and making friends with, new and interesting people from all walks of life. I have met some great people on this trip, and also become more confident in myself. I’ve come a long way from my first trip abroad when I was so homesick I couldn’t eat; now I don’t get homesick at all!
So that’s it, my visit to Hong Kong is over. Hopefully I’ll get to go back, but in the meantime it’s time to start planning for my next trip…Singapore here I come!